Friday, October 19, 2012

Day 2 - Part 1

The next morning I rose early and went to wake up the other servants. Vincent, the cook, waited for us in the kitchen. I figured he was an early riser like and I would get along well with him.

Charlotte rubbed her eyes and yawned as she entered the kitchen. I already told Oscar to get to his daily chores moments.

“Elijah, it’s so early…” Charlotte complained.

“It’s only six o’clock,” I told her. She let out an angry huff.

“That’s too early.” she whined.

“A good maid is up early to expect the needs of her family.” I explained. “How long have you been here?”

“Since I was fifteen, sir. I’m twenty now.”

Charlotte stuck her hands into the slits of her apron. She rocked back and forth on her heels.

“What are you doing? Get the china ready!” I barked. Charlotte hurried out of my sight.

Vincent prepared a large breakfast for the family to eat. I hoped Lady Wakeshaw would be well enough to eat with the family, for I had yet to meet her. Lord Wakeshaw and the children were all pleasant at last evening’s dinner.

“You’d best go see if the children are waking.” Vincent suggested.


I nodded and left the kitchen, heading to the wing of the manor the children shared. Theodore’s room was the first door I approached and pulled open.

The youth was still buried under his covers, trying to sleep. I walked in and snatched the drapes open, letting light into the room.

“Young Master Theodore, time for you to awaken. You have a busy day.” I told him.

I learned from the other servants that the Wakeshaw children learned at home. Their tutors arrived once every day to engage them in different subjects. I glanced at Theodore as he got out of bed.

“Elijah, prepare a bath for me.”

“As you wish.”

I walked through another door one that lead to Theodore’s own bathroom. The Wakeshaw children had their own rooms and bathrooms. They didn’t have to share anything. They were isolated. I frowned as I realized the pain of wealthy children. It must hurt to spend your life taken care of by everyone except their parents. I prepared Theodore’s bath, musing things in my mind.

Theodore walked into the bathroom, nude. He stepped into the large tub and sank into the hot, bubbled water.

“Elijah, wash my back.”

“Yes sir.”

I did as he asked of me. The clock on the wall ticked away the minutes. I reached for a towel to help Theodore out of the bath, but he grabbed my arm. I looked at him in surprise.

“Did you find out our family is cursed?” he asked me.

Yes, of course. I just didn’t know the true extent of their curse. I needed to find out, and why.

I pulled my arm out of his grasp. He rose from the bath and took the towel from me.

“You look delicious.”

I couldn’t get the shock off my face from his words. What teenager blatantly calls a man like me delicious? I scratched my head in nervousness.

“Don’t be afraid, Elijah… I’m Theo. Theodore is a pansy. But I’m not.”

He pressed his naked body against mine, wrapping his arms around me. “Have fun with me.”

I pushed him away and backed up toward the door. “I must excuse myself, sir.” When I turned to face the door, I found him standing right in front of it.

“I’m not letting you leave until I get what I want.”

Part of me hoped for a distraction, or a way to escape. I didn’t want to use my powers on him.

“Master Theodore, are you ready yet? Breakfast will be served soon!” Charlotte’s voice called out. She probably didn’t know I was here with Theodore…no, Theo. Oh how glad I felt, hearing her voice.

“Shit.”

Theo swore under his breath. Then I saw a look of realization wash over his face.

“Elijah, I’m terribly sorry! Theo can’t control himself around men he finds attractive…” Theodore looked ashamed. “You may go now…”

I bowed to him, noting the embarrassment on his face. I left his presence and went down the hall. I walked past Ashton’s room, only to have him hurl a book at the door. The door slammed shut. Well, he wasn’t one for mornings, now was he? Mariana peeked out at me from her bedroom door. She crept out and skipped happily to where I stood, smiling at me. Her dress was pastel blue and pink, with white lace and ribbon trimming.

“Good morning, Miss Mariana.” I said, bowing to her.

“Oh, Mister Elijah! You don’t have to bow to me! And call me Mari! M-A-R-I! That’s me!” She began to skip around me, singing.

“Ring around the rosies a pocket full of posies, ashes, ashes, we all fall down!”

Her giggles made me smile. This personality liked me, while the other thought I was creepy and would do something bad if they didn’t watch me. Two down, five to go.

“Don’t ever leave us, Mister Elijah! I like you!” she said, her voice so cheerful. A chill went up my spine.

Soon, I would understand why I didn’t feel comfortable hearing those words. Her voice…it was cheerful, yet chilly at the same time. I took her hand, got down on one knee and lowered my head.

“I will never leave.” I told her.

I never will.

3 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying the story thus far. Cant wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy that you are enjoying the story so far. I hope I won't disappoint you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your blog. You are a pretty talented writer!

    ReplyDelete