Friday, November 23, 2012

Day 6 - Part 1


The following morning there was a new face at breakfast. Julian, Lord Wakeshaw’s younger brother returned to the manor after long sessions of studying away from home. Lord Wakeshaw’s siblings hardly stayed at home, but they always came back. Julian stared at me the entire time I was present. He even whispered things to his brother. They were talking about me.

I remembered what I’d heard and seen last night. Their closeness unnerved me. I thought it seemed unusual for brothers to be so close with each other.

Lady Hannah approached me after breakfast and frowned.

“What’s the matter, my lady?” I asked her.

“Nathaniel has been odd since Julian returned. He spends time with him and forgets I am here when that boy is around.”

I frowned. “Yes, I’ve noticed.” I could see a change in his behavior in Julian’s presence. Julian left the dining room and his brother followed him. I stepped out of the dining room and headed back to the kitchen. Charlotte and Oscar sat at the table, mulling over their own food. I leaned against one of the walls, watching them.

“Something got you worried, Elijah?” Oscar asked me.

“No. I’m not worried.” Of course, I told him an outright lie. I was worrying about everything. Him, Charlotte, and the Wakeshaws. What was that fiend planning? What did he wish to gain from this cursed family?

I turned and left the kitchen, my feet carrying me to Nathaniel’s office. I pushed the door open, to find Nathaniel engaged in quiet conversation with Julian.

“What happened to your father?” I demanded.

“What are you talking about?” Nathaniel asked.

“I’m talking about the reason your family is cursed!” I shouted.

All the frustration building up inside me burst out at once.

“Cut the bullshit!” I screamed.  I felt like I would burst.

“Don’t talk to my brother like any old way, servant.”

Julian’s demeanor changed. He glared at me and stood between me and Nathaniel.

“Lian, don’t.” Nathaniel had a hand on Lian’s shoulder.

“Be quiet, Brother! He’s disrespecting you.”

Lian is Julian’s other personality.

“You tell me then, Lian.” I said

He stared at me. I waited.

“You are a rude butler,” he began, “None of the other butlers questioned my brother like this.”

“Did you scare them away?” I asked.

“They left on their own!” Lian continued.

“Lian, stop.” Nathaniel again tried to keep his little brother from getting too angry, but his attempts fell on deaf ears.

Lian struck me and I grabbed his arm.

“We are all trapped.” I said. “Father Ashgale…”

“You went to see that fiend?” Nathaniel’s voice dropped an octave. I stared at him.

“He is no priest. He is a fiend and we are trapped within his curse!”

“Why hello, Nathan.” I said.

“My father was a fool!” he shouted. “He wanted all this wealth and power! Look what it got us!  A curse! I killed him! I killed our mother! And my mistakes landed us with this curse!  All my children and their children will suffer because of me.

“Why did you sacrifice your parents to the fiend your father summoned?” I asked.

“He did it because our father and mother never really cared about us. Father gambled, and Mother spent her time being social.  Nathan hated how they would never care for us. He wanted our lives to be better.” Lian said.

“I ended their lives because they never cared for ours!” Nathan screamed. “I am two people! I hate all of this!”

Lian put his arms around Nathaniel’s waist and pulled him close.

“It will all get better, Brother. Maybe the help we need is right here.”

I am a lone angel, and who knows who is for me or against me. I will find a way to end their curse.

I would even consider pulling their curse onto myself to help them.

“Listen, both of you. I will do what I can to end your pain.”

I now understand why fate sent me here.

I must end their curse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment