Friday, October 5, 2012

Day 1 - Part 1


Once I did not believe humans could be so…What’s a good word? Ah, challenged…no, strange perhaps? Well that won’t do either…I can settle for weird…. My name is Razentel – but for the sake of this journal I will use the name Elijah F. Vholes.

I am here to guard the Wakeshaw family under the guise of a butler. I will admit I never willingly take an assignment without protest- but today, well that time, I had no choice in the matter.

I must follow these rules- no one outside the Wakeshaw family can find out my true nature. If I am discovered, I will be bound to them forever, unable to leave when my task is finished. No self-respecting immortal being wants the burden of dealing with mortals for the rest of their eternal existence…

When I first arrived at Wakeshaw Manor on the outskirts of a city known as Karzendale, a well-kept manor house came into view. Wrought iron gates surrounded the grounds. The scent of roses and other flowers drifted in the breeze. I carried my heavy bag with me as I trudged up to the main gate. As soon as I stepped up I caught the sight of a young man rushing to open the gate for me.

“Who might you be?” he asked me.

“I’m Elijah F. Vholes, the new butler.” I took a moment to study this fellow. He had messily chopped brown hair and the knees of his slacks were stained with grass and dirt.

“My name is Oscar! No time for formalities! It’s a good thing you are here! The Lord and Lady of the Manor are in the middle of one of their spats!” Oscar turned around and hurried toward the Manor.

I followed Oscar up the path and through the doors. As soon as both my feet reached the other side of the threshold, yelling met my ears.

“You sir are a complete moron! Oh how I despise the ground you walk on, you foul mouthed scum of a man! Why did I marry you?” –That voice was female, of course.

“You married me because you had no choice! You were only needed for heirs anyway!”

That voice was male. Oscar and I stood there, glancing at each other.

“Do they scream…like this often?” I asked.

“No. You will find out.” Oscar said. He was smiling at me.
Within moments, the yelling turned to silence. A serious young man emerged from the large door at the top of the stairs.

“You must be Elijah! Sorry to ask you to come here on short notice. I am the Lord of this manor, Nathaniel Benedict Wakeshaw.”

“You have my humble greetings, Lord Wakeshaw.” I bowed, and the hairs on my neck began to bristle. Something was off here.

“I’d better get back to the garden!” Oscar said, startling me from my observations. He ran off, his boots clacking against the floor.

“Are you well, Elijah?” Nathaniel asked me.

I needed to get away from him. I hoped the other servants would be able to ease my worries about these…people. I didn’t want to see the rest of them during dinner service. The sick, worried feeling that I despise crept into my belly.

“Well, if you are fine, I expect dinner to be served on time.”

His drop in tone made me nervous.

I picked up my bag again, seeing as my scare made me drop it. I was walking toward the direction Oscar ran off to- when I heard soft humming.

A maid with thick curly blond hair stood dusting off vases and picture frames.

“Excuse me.”

She hurled the duster right into the air as she stumbled onto her bottom. She stared up at me and her cheeks turned bright pink.

“E-e-e-lijah! I’m so sorry you had to witness my sad blunder!”

Instead of letting her continue to babble, I helped her to her feet. She turned red.

“I’m Charlotte!” she squeaked. I chuckled.

“Shall you show me to my quarters? I do wish to get acquainted with the house before dinner.”

“Oh! Yes sir, this way!”

Charlotte led me to the servant quarters and presented me with a neat, well-kept room. She scurried off before I could ask more questions.

I set my heavy bag on the floor at the foot of the bed and pulled out three sets of uniforms to tuck away into the closet.

A small box on the table caught my eye. I picked it up and opened it. A shiny silver pin in the shape of the symbol for Gemini rested on a small cushion of black velvet.

“Why… Is this their family crest?” I held it up and studied it for a moment before pinning it onto the front of my vest. Beside the box someone left an old journal. It contained notes from their last butler. I picked it up and flipped it open.

Wakeshaw family curse
Two
Two
Two
GEMINI

I stared at the words. They were written with haste, resembling the scribbles of a child. What if their last butler died-

Then I saw it.

A damp bloodstain. The journal fell from my hand to the floor with a soft clatter.

Heaven, what can I do?

1 comment:

  1. This is a pretty cool premise. I really enjoyed the first chapter. I thought it did well in establishing the main character without revealing too much. I'm definitely interested in what happens next.

    ReplyDelete